10 Signs Your Computer Has a Virus
Has your computer been acting weird lately? Do you suspect it’s become infected with a virus that’s messing with your system?
Viruses and malware, in general, tend to force your computer to act abnormally to the point where you’ll notice unusual behavior and performance issues. In extreme cases, viruses can delete your data or take over your computer, rendering it inoperative.
It is not always easy to tell whether there is a virus on your computer because they are good at disguising their presence, and some lay dormant for a certain period before launching an attack and dropping their payloads.
10 signs that your computer may be infected with a virus:
1. Slow computer: Sometimes, this may appear normal especially if you are working on databases and other process-intensive work. But if this is not the case, and the computer is still often running slower than usual, taking a long time to power up or open apps, it could be a sign that there is a virus on your computer.
2. Missing or corrupted files: If you notice a program that you often use suddenly showing a pop-up window or error message relating to missing files, it could be a possible sign of corruption, and most probably caused by malware.
3. Frequent system crashes or blue screen of death
4. New applications or process: Unfamiliar applications or processes appearing on the background.
5. Unexpected pop-up windows: Ads or error messages appearing on the screen.
6. Overworked hard drive: Viruses often damage your hard drive, causing you to hear some strange sounds. It will most likely sound like the hard drive is working extra hard or its fan is making whirring noises.
7. Spam emails: Emails sent automatically from your account without your permission.
8. Browser redirects
9. Disk is full: Some viruses leave a copy of themselves and create duplicates of system files that fill up your disk space.
10. Inability to download antivirus program updates or a malfunctioning firewall
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it is worth checking if your computer has a virus.
Scan your computer to see if it is safe
The easy way to check for and remove a virus on your computer is to use an effective and trusted virus scanner.
Trend Micro HouseCall is an online security scanner that detects and fixes viruses, worms, spyware, and other malicious threats for free. Although it’s a free virus scanner, it offers world-class malware protection and can work with your existing antivirus program.
- Free Malware Scan: Discover if your files are safe and block malicious software hidden outside of files.
- Threat Report: With the detailed report, you can see what threats have targeted your device and take quick action.
- Threat Removal: Threats can harm your device even before you realize there is a problem. Use HouseCall to get your device back to normal.
- Custom Scan Options: With HouseCall, you can choose which scan to run – quick or full. You can even create a custom scan.
It is also advisable to keep your antivirus updated so your computer has the optimal protection from viruses and other forms of malware. However, if you do not have an antivirus app installed on your computer, it is time that you invest in one. Choose a trusted antivirus solution such as Trend Micro Maximum Security.
Lastly, practice safe computing to prevent virus infection. Be extra careful when downloading apps or software from untrusted sources. Additionally, never click on unfamiliar links in emails or ads claiming to keep your computer safe from virus infections.